Monday, December 5, 2016

Thanksgiving In Singapore

This is going tone a very long post!  I usually break up each day, but I really can't be bothered, so I hope it works!

Thanksgiving in Singapore!  

List of things to do:
Wellness checkups
Hearing aids for Chris
A little Christmas shopping
Gavin's Indonesia Visa
Thanksgiving with all the kids!

That's a lot to do in one short week!  So to start of, Chris, Gabby, and I leave site after the UG gold tournament and travel to Singapore for our Wellness appointments on Monday.  We get those done on Monday and then finish on Tuesday.  I don't have pictures of that because that would just be too weird!

On Wednesday, Gabby and I do a little shopping before moving hotels.  I finally talked her into taking one picture in front of some of the Christmas lights while waiting for Chris to catch up with us.


Wednesday night couldn't come fast enough for us, why you may ask?  Well, because our boarding school kids were flying in from Penang to meet us for Thanksgiving!!!  We had moved hotels earlier in the day, you will find out which one later, so all we had left was time to wait.  And wait we did!  The kids didn't get in until almost 10:30, so what do you do to use up some time?  You take the hour long MRT train out to the airport.


Once at the airport, we had sooooo much time to waste again.  So we went from terminal to terminal searching for ice cream!!  Who does that???  ;)  Guess what we found?  McDonalds!!  Top of the line ice cream, I tell you!

Once we found the ice cream and rode every train we could at the airport, we went back to wait for the kids to arrive.  Chris and Gabby found a spot for a photo first.

Finally!!  The kids have arrived!!!  I cannot tell you hoe exciting it is to see your kids walk through the doors!


So where are we staying???  On top of the world!!!  We finally get to stay at my most favorite building in the whole world, Marina Bay Sands!!!  I have no idea why i din't get a picture of the building... Maybe because I have so many pictures for all the times when we were in Singapore before... I don't know... 

Here is the first picture I took at the hotel.  The first morning at the pool! I do believe the pool is located on floor 57.








The pool is definitely the only reason to stay at that hotel!  I absolutely loved being on top of the world!

After the pool (you can only have so much of the sun up there without turning into a lobster), we decided to walk over to the art museum to take in the NASA exhibit.  What better way for an American to celebrate Thanksgiving than to go take in some Americana!


Kids thought they would try out some G forces.  It really wasn't that bad... No one puked! ;)

I needed to warm up outside, so while waiting, Ted found some water to play with. ;)

This picture may make sense to no one unless you follow the news or follow pop culture.  Well, a guy in the States thought he would give the liberals at Starbucks something to cry about so when he went in to a Starbucks to order his coffee, he would tell the barista his name was Trump. That way when they called out his name when the order was ready, they had to yell Trump's name.  So this was posted on social media and it went viral.  I thought I would give it a try in Singapore.  After for Starbucks, a barista finally asked for my name!!!  Without hesitation, I told her my name was Trump. She did do a double take, but sad to say, the effect wasn't what it would have been if I had been in the US.  Anyway, I stepped totally our of character for me, and did a pop culture thing!! #TrumpCup

Our next adventure on Thanksgiving day was to find the restaurant that I had booked reservations for.  So off to Sentosa Island...  Back on the subway, Gabby thought she would try out a new hair style...  Boy oh boy, did she get some looks! ;) 

After the MRT, we took the tram over to Sentosa Island.

I am only smiling because I threatened everyones life if they rocked the tram back and forth!!  They were good.  I am smiling! :D

Once we got to the island, we needed to find the restaurant.  I don't even remember the resturants name...  well, not that day, now... and I am too lazy to look it up...  It was a German resturant, so I thought it would be perfect!

Well after a good hour walking around, asking a few people where to go, and consulting Chris' phone, we finally found the restaurant!  But it was quite odd... for having a huge Thanksgiving buffet, it was almost like we walked into a ghost town.  There was no one around!!  Looking into the restaurant, you couldn't see anyone busting their butt trying to get things set up.  You couldn't see a buffet... NOTHING!!!  Soooooo weird!!!

Well, here is why.....  BECAUSE...  in the online reservation notes, I told them to contact me, if needed, through my email address because my Indonesian phone number wouldn't be working.  Well they tried to contact me BUT only through the phone number to tell me that there was no room because all the tickets were sold!!  Nowhere on the website did it say reservations and tickets, only reservations!!  Thankfully some guy in the restaurant took pity on us and came outside to talk to us and told us they had been trying to contact us...

Anyway, no room at the main restaurant.  We were all tired and crabby from all the walking in the heat... So what do you do... I guess we just go to the Hardrock down the road.  The exact place we didn't want on Thanksgiving!

But wait!! Momma has a plan!!  That morning at breakfast at the hotel, Marz and I saw a sign for a Thanksgiving buffet there... Could it be possible that there would be an open table for six???  Only one way to find out... On a wish and a prayer, I called the hotel and asked the question.  Well Hallelujah!!!  They had an open table for six o'clock!!  We have one hour to get back to the hotel to make our reservations!

So back to the tram and Met we go...  The funny thing is, we could have just grabbed a taxi and been back at the hotel in ten minutes.  But we had tram tickets to use up and by golly we were going to do just that!! :D

All of us at Thanksgiving dinner with BIG happy, smily faces!

The next day, Friday, I had some follow up Dr. appointments.  On my treadmill test, they didn't like that my heart rate was down to 40.  Can we say Walking Dead??? :)  So everyone went to Universal Studios and I went to the cardiologists!  The Doc wanted me to be hooked up to a heart rate monitor for 24 hours just to see what was going on.  There was no blockage, just a very slow heart rate.  If they only knew what an awesome athlete I am, they would have never strapped me in...  but i guess they didn't believe me... ;D lol!

Here I am waiting outside Universal Studios for Chris to bring me my ticket.  Let me tell you... you should have see the looks I got from people walking by when they noticed the wires sticking outside my shirt!!  I'm surprised security didn't come "check me out"!!

These were only about half the wires that were hooked up to me!!  Talk about itchy in the heat!!

I didn't stay long, the heat was too much and the Doc told me not to get sweaty because the tape would stick then.  So we went back to the hotel.

Here's Marz and Betty Boop before we left Universal.

That night we decided to get back on the MRT and head over to Orchard to eat dinner and look at the Christmas lights.  They boys didn't want to walk around after dinner, so the girls and I did.  I didn't take very many pictures... ;)


Back to the hotel and one last trip up to the pool at night!


The last day, Saturday, was filled with running errands and one last Dr. appointment.  There is nothing wrong with my heart, although it may be cold every now and then... ;)  but all is well.  I just have a very slow heart.  The highest it got in the 24 hours was 66!!  Like I said, Walking Dead? ;)

Marz wasn't ready to stop of the night, so she and I went walking around the Marina Bay Sands mall. She finally got her first taste of Macaroons.  We hid out in a corner so she could eat them in peace before going back to all the other kids.

Finally Sunday came and it was time to split up again and go back "home".  I took the kids to the airport in the morning and sent them on their way.  I then sat there an waited for Chris and Gabby to come because by the time I got back to the hotel, I would have had to turn right back around to go back to the airport.  I LOVE airports!!! :)

Me and my babies before they went through immigration :)

This was a significant trip for us!  After seven years and multiple trips to Singapore, this will be the last one for Marz!!  I cannot believe her time in Asia is coming to an end!  She only had seven months left and then back to the US for college!

So many great memories were made during this trip.  My babies are growing up too fast!!  Brings a tear to my eye... But so very grateful for them all and all the opportunities we all have had!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment