Thursday, May 26, 2016

Touring the Lowlands

We had some very special guest come visit site last week. I was asked to go down to the lowlands to help entertain the ladies. 

My friend Lawrencia, who is moving to KK in the next couple weeks, entertained me before we entertained the guests. Since we had some time to kill before the guests arrived, we decided to FaceTime out friend back in the US.... Well forget that!  Couldn't get a good internet connection, so we decided to send her a couple photos. :)



Finally we were on our way to meet the ladies and tour some facilities Freeport built for the town of Timika. 

Our first stop, or drive through, was of some of the housing for staff. I had never been in this area, and really didn't even know it existed !

Our next stop was at the water treatment plant that Freeport is still in the process of finishing. This will provide potable water to the town of Timika. 



My final stop on he tour was to the new sports complex in Timika. Again it is being built by Freeport and will eventually be handed over to the Timika/Papuan (can't remember which) government. I believe the complex will be ready for the Papuan Games in 2020. Or something like that... I really should write this stuff down! ;)

Indoor complex:  This will seat approximately 5000 people when it's all finished. Basketball, volleyball, and badminton will be able to be played inside. 




Outdoor complex:  This outdoor area will seat 1500 people. Soccer and track and field will be held there. 

And just for an added bonus, the turf was brought in from Switzerland!!  Crazy!! 

The tour group. 

Ladies. Unmm, what was that?!?! ;)

Lawrencia and me. 

I'm telling you if they hadn't just watered the grass, I would have been rolling around in it like a two year old!  I haven't seen grass like this since we had our house in Wyoming!

Last but not lease, the dorms. They were built to resemble traditional Papuan honi (homes, sp?). 


They are a far cry from what is out in the villages, but the athletes will enjoy them for years to come. :)

And now because I needed to catch my ride up the hill to make another engagement, my tour was finished. I had learned so much that day!  I had no idea, like most of the worlds population, the extent to which Freeport gives back to the surrounding communities! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment