Monday, May 30, 2016

Memorial Day 2016

Today, Memorial Day, is a day to remember all those who have given the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom. Sometimes being overseas, we kind of miss out on days like today. We don't have family around to go fishing or golfing with. We don't have the stores with all the advertisements. We just don't have all the fanfare here that a three day weekend brings back in the US. 

Most Americans, along with all the other guys from different countries have been working all weekend.  Memorial Day is just another day here on job site. So when I asked our security guys over for dinner one last time before we leave for the summer, it didn't dawn on me until this morning that it was Memorial Day.

I had decided to make chicken parmesan a couple days ago, but when I remembered that it was Memorial Day, I thought I should do a traditional barbecue dinner. Good ole fat juicy burgers! Oh wait, we are in Indonesia!!  There is rarely any such thing here... So I went back to my original plan and made chicken parmesan. 

I must say, the guys loved it!  At least that's what they said... I told them anyone can cook when it comes out of a jar. ;). I think they were just enchanted with a home cooked meal that they didn't give a hoot what was served.


Finally my flag plates and napkins that I bought last summer came in handy!

The guys giving Gavin a pep talk about being in the military. :)

The other guests. 

Telling multiple military stories. 

Memories for everyone!

On behalf of our family, we would like to thank those who have given their life that we may enjoy the freedom that we have everyday!

Never forget!  God bless you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment