Sunday, May 13, 2018

My Dad - Transferring to SF

Dad is being transferred to Sioux Falls. Here’s what I know...

Yesterday, Saturday afternoon, mom took dad to the Hospital in Mobridge because he was having difficulty breathing. Dad’s doctor in Aberdeen wanted him transferred to ABR to keep a better eye on him. So the nurses in Mobridge hooked dad up with oxygen and sent them, mom, Shannon, and dad, on their way. 

After his arrival in ABR, Dad was stabilized in the ER and then was transferred to a regular room. He was going to stay in the hospital until his procedures on Tuesday. 

Now, I may get some of this info mixed up, like times and days, but you will get the picture even if it’s not the exact information. I am just the information “sharer”. 

Basically they did another CT scan of the chest/abdomen and this time found fluid in his stomach and spots on/in (not sure which) his lungs. His liver enzymes were also elevated. The fluid in the stomach and maybe enlarged liver could be the reason why he has shortness of breath. They may be pushing on the lungs... This morning, Sunday, they found an “infection” in his blood. Again, I’m not sure what the infection is, whether it’s cancer or something else. I’m not even sure what that something else may be...

A surgeon came in to dad’s room this morning and told dad and mom that they were going to transfer dad to Sioux Falls because the cancer is fast moving and he NEEDS to get a shot or two of chemo now!  At least try to get the cancer to stop growing so fast. They still don’t know the source... 

Just so everyone knows, the cancer doctor in Aberdeen is on vacation this week and that’s the reason why dad couldn’t be seen or treated earlier than the 22nd. 

So they are transferring him to Sioux Falls as I write this... Tomorrow, Monday, they will get him a high dose of chemo and another one soon after, I’m just not sure how soon after. 

I guess since the cancer is very aggressive, the chemo will be fast acting and it’s actually a “good” thing. They just need to get the cancer to stop spreading, then they can go look for the source. The doctor also said that dad’s heart is in good shape, but working overtime. 

They, the docs, told Brandei that the cancer is treatable. But whether dad will be with us another month, 3 or 6 or 3+ years, is anyone’s guess. There is only one who knows the answer, and we put all our hope in Him! 

Before I go, I just want to stress how very grateful our family is for all the prayers, for all the messages, and for all the love. Sorry if we do not get a private message of thanks back to each and everyone of you. Know that we truly appreciate every single one of them!

God’s blessings to you all! xoxo

To be continued...

Saturday night. 

Sunday morning.





6 comments:

  1. Marvin, we're praying for you! It sure would be nice if God would let you hang around Glenham a few more years! We'll see if He agrees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. May God guide your doctors. Please call me if you would like a second opinion...I messaged Carol (from my dad’s phone) with my phone number...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks David! I will remind my my to get in touch with you if she wants. We appreciate your help! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marvin is my Godfather, and so I've asked all the pheasants in the Midwest to lend their prayers, too! Hope that may help in his healing:-).

    Cordially & respectfully,

    Jason C. Lage (*Godson)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lee and I are praying here in Watertown for a complete healing!! May you all feel His presence!
    God Bless you all. We are so sorry you are going through this Marv!!

    Prayerfully,
    Lee and Jan Schull

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thoughts and prayers going your way! Evelyn and John

    ReplyDelete