Friday, January 12, 2018

Hong Kong Day 2

We Should Have Used More Map...

Today started off rather slow...  We were tired from all the walking yesterday, so we decided to sleep in and take our time getting ourselves going.  

We were not really sure what to do today.  We knew we wanted to go to the Temple Street night markets over on the mainland, but the guide book said not to go until after seven at night. We also knew that we wanted to do a few other things on the island, but were saving them for tomorrow.  So after much consideration, we decided that we would try one of the trams and ride it around the island.  Fortunately for us, there is a tram stop right outside the hotel!  Also you should know that we picked this adventure because it was extremely cheap!  It wasn't even three Hong Kong dollars to ride for as long as we wanted.  Just so you know, it's almost 8 HKD to 1 USD.  :)





As most teenagers do... yes, Marz, you are still a teenager... she got easily bored... This wasn't a thrill ride and we stopped about every other minute, so she tired of this fast.  A quote from Marz "The most frustrating means of transport I've ever been on."  I would have to disagree with her... I actually enjoyed the ride.  I got to sit back and watch people and not watch where I was walking or running into someone.  I thought it was quite pleasant.  I guess that's the difference between the generations... ;)

So after 30 minutes of this "nonsense", we were at a stop where we could get off and walk around another outdoor market.  Since I found yesterday's market so fascinating, I was up for it.  This time we walked through Chin Yeung Street Market.

These signs are a nice added touch to Hong Kong and will help a tourists out.  They are also the bane of my existence... We follow them non stop!  "Oh wait, lets go see that..."  This will really mean something later on in the story! ;)


I was not disappointed in walking through this market.  There was sea food of all kinds to look at!




This guy will clean your fish for you, right here, in under three seconds!  It was quite amazing to watch!  Mersades made me move along or I would have waited for the next customer just so I could watch him do it again! ;)

I just had to take a pic of this... Yesterday I saw all these pig heads hanging at the markets.  Well, today I saw the guy take a blow torch to the pig's head... I wonder why???  Guess I'll have to go ask Uncle Google...

That little excursion didn't last long... To save Marz from going complete bananas, we decided to walk back to the hotel.  After all, we had our map... That we really didn't have to use, because we just backtracked the way the tram took us...  

Thank goodness I was smart enough to wear my "mom" shoes today!! 

Just for the record... It's COLD here!!  Not the South Dakota below zero, stupid cold, but cold for me cold.  Yah, it was 49 degrees when we left the hotel this morning.  That's about a 50 degree temp swing for me from the last two months!  Thank heavens for coffee!  I thought if I drank it, it would warm me up, but it felt just good just to hold the hot cup.

Ok, back to the story....

After we got back to the hotel, we were just hanging out and researching how to get the MRT to take us across the bay to where we wanted to go.  The night markets...

It was easy... almost to easy... We didn't even have to use a map!! ;)  

The Temple Street Night Markets... I guess I didn't really take any pictures... :D  Just this one...  But picture miles of knock-off cheap junk and you will get the picture... ;)

Then we pulled out our map because Marz found in her handy dandy guide book this place that makes pancake-waffle-bubble-kind-of-things.  We start walking... and come upon these freaky creatures!  I think I just stepped into a Gremlin's movie!  I hated Gremlin's...  Very curious as to what they use these for...


Marz pulls out her map again to make sure we are going in the right direction...

And we start walking.... and walking... and walking... We were, yes WERE!!!  ...suppose to be walking toward the water...  

Things are very close here in HKG and after a mile or so and not reaching the water, I tell Marz to pull out her map... Just as I thought... we were going the wrong direction!! No, I didn't yell at Marz... I'm trying to be a good mom and let her navigate.  After all, she is the one who wants to go to Germany on her own....  (sigh...)  I was only slightly irritated... Thankfully I had my "mom" shoes on!! :D

But have no fear... we turn around and start walking back the way we came.  (This is where those pesky little pink signs, you know the ones I was talking about earlier, come in to play.)  We see a sign that says "The Jade Markets" 

"Hey Marz, lets go look."  "Ok mom, we may as well since we are here."  So turn the corner we do...

Now I'm almost 100% positive there really is a place called The Jade Markets somewhere in Hong Kong.  But what we turned into was not the stone Jade markets... What we found were tables and tables of SEX TOYS and BONGS!! ...among other things...  I KID YOU NOT!!!  So our "Jade" markets turned into our "JADE" markets... LOL!!  Quite the detour!! 

No Mom!!  I do not have any pictures from there!!! hahahahahahahah :D

We walked back out to the main road and Marz kept telling me we were headed for this waffle place.  I'm not listening because I am really done with walking so I just kept following her.  Finally, we reached our destination.  The destination that the little handy dandy guide book tells you all the tourists go to, so you must try...  Truly!! It is nothing but a whole in the wall. Literally.  ...and there is a line a mile long waiting to get these unbelievable treats!!  

I just roll my eyes and tell Marz to get on with the ordering so we can get more walking in since I haven't had enough yet today... (How do you make an eye roll emoji on your computer?? ;))





Since I can't have those treats that the whole world seems to enjoy, I went next door to this french fry place where all they do is make seasoned french fries.  There were six seasonings to choose from.  I didn't order seasoned fries, just tater tots with salt. :D  Who even knew this was a thing??? ;)

We again started walking and found some remnants of Christmas.  Marz always the beautiful model. ;)

FINALLY!!  We reached the destination that I had been looking for all night after the first set of night markets.  Down by the bay... Avenue of the Stars.  This was the last stop for the night.  We sat down, took some time, and enjoyed the lights.




We are going to go back there on Sunday because I guess I didn't listen to Marz when she told me of all the things to do along here.  Oops! ;)

After another 6+ mile day, we are finally back at the hotel. :)

Day 2 is done. So am I.  Good night! xo ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment