Saturday, September 9, 2017

Landslide Update III

Because of my vast superior investigative journalistic abilities, here is the Banti road update. ;)

*Banti is the Papuan village approximately 2 miles from Tembagapura.

Yesterday, Chris and I went driving down towards the Banti gate so I could get some pictures, as best I could, of the road that had washed away and of the old Banti gate bridge that was now sitting in the middle of the river down stream.  It's really hard to get the whole perspective of the mass destruction because of the distance between valleys, but I tried...  I hope you can zoom in on these pictures...

Road to Banti, washed out.

The above zoomed in from where we were standing...  I'm not sure you can see it without zooming in more, there is a haul truck on what used to be the road.

The middle left is the zoomed in picture above.

These guys are hanging large plastic sheets to help stop erosion, from rain water, until the fix it crews can get to this part of the river.

This is the part that I was really looking for to get the pictures for this post.  The old Banti access road/gate.  There was once a bridge here that has now been sent down the river.


Now we have gone to the other side of the river and got a good look at more of the destruction.  The building in the upper left was approximately where we were standing while taking the above pictures.


The part that I have been looking for, the bridge, well part of the bridge... That massive chunk of cement in the middle right of the picture below...  The crumpled building, middle left, is where the bridge used to stand.  The picture does not do that massive chunk of cement justice!


And, that's it....I have been to all the places I can get to without getting into trouble... ;)  Maybe after church today, if the sun is still out, Chris and I will drive up to get pictures of where the slide started.  So stay tuned...

Here are the links to the other posts about the landslide:


No comments:

Post a Comment