Wednesday, September 13, 2017

A Cake Disaster!

I have never had a cake turn out this bad!  I'm not exactly sure what happened other than there was too much moisture in the air, or I didn't bake two of the layers long enough, or if the cake was just too moist!  Two of the layers were fine, but two of the layers just collapsed!  I tried to "save" it, but in the end, it wasn't savable other than throwing it all in a big plastic container and eating it with a spoon!  Kinda like eating ice cream out of the ice cream container... but not...! ;)

I decided I would get a little creative on the inside of this cake because the icing on the outside was only going to be white with a few sprinkles.  So I marbled the cakes to bake them and then cut out the two holes in the middle layers to make a confetti cake.

What you do to make a confetti cake is stack the layers as normal and then before you put the top layer on, you fill the hole with a mixture of sprinkles to match the cake.

Here's where the disaster starts.  You can see the second layer from the top start to crack. :(

Then the bottom layer crumbles and is almost flat on the cake plate.

I tried to do my best and save it by getting it crumbed coated as fast as I could, but no dice...  The layers just couldn't take the weight and I had to try and separate the bottom layer from the rest of the cake.  As you can see from the top of the cake, I also tried to put dowels in to hold it together... Yup, that didn't work either.

My curiosity was getting the best of me to see how the center of the cake would look like once cut open.  Just a heads up for everyone who cuts this type of cake... DO NOT do it on a wire rack!!  All the "confetti" falls through the holes!!! At this point, what's a mother mess... ;)

The final resting place...  I just laugh!!  This has NEVER happened to me before!

But all was not lost!  It was still very VERY edible!  Cake in a cup please... :D

I also happened to make some mini cupcakes with the left over icing... Thank Goodness!!  At least we had something that was cute to take the Happy Birthday picture!  Can you believe these pretty little things taste just a good as the disaster in the container!! ;)



The Birthday Girl!

For some reason Jen wanted to hold the disaster and not the pretty ones... But like I said, the disaster was just as flavorful as the others and the disaster was Jen's favorite to eat!

People always ask why I don't make cakes in Tembagapura.  Well besides the fact that you have to carry in every, I mean Every ingredient to make the cakes, there is a good possibility of this happening!

Oh well... Jen loved it AND beat me in cards!!  She had a good birthday! That's all that matters!  ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment