Friday, August 18, 2017

Playing Farm Girl

There is nothing like the taste of summer during the winter months here in South Dakota!  This is one of the reasons you slave for a day "putting up" corn!  Yee Hawwww!!

Since I am just hanging out at mom and dads, waiting to take Marz to school, my baby brother told me I could come help with the process. At least I'm good for something! πŸ˜‰πŸ˜

After two rangers full of ears of corn, Q-1 and team "put up" 155 quarts!!  That should last them through the long winters months! 

Here's the process... let me tell you, it's highly complicated... πŸ˜‰

First you shuck the corn. No picture here as I skipped this part. I was very very busy cleaning up the lodge and talking to friends on the phone! πŸ˜‰

After shucking, Q1 blanches the corn in his turkey fryers for approximately 3 minutes. Then he submerses the corn in a bath tub, aka baby pool, of water to cool off for the next step. 

Step three is cutting the kernels off the cob. No fingers were lost in this process!  πŸ˜‰. These are friends helping Q1 and Rock out. I actually used to babysit this guy!

Then it's time for the bagging, the most difficult and scientific part of this process.  That's why they gave it to Rock and me! πŸ˜‰. Scoop some in a bag, squeez all the air out, zip up the bag, and press to lay flat. I'm telling you, exhausting work!! 😏

Ok, so most of that was true, well except for the exhausting work... πŸ˜‰. We all kinda of took turns doing all the jobs, well except for the "blancher". Q1 wouldn't give up his power there. 😁.

I think this was my favorite part! Yes, I still do have all my fingers!


The end product. I'm not sure there will be enough...πŸ˜‚


As always, one of the things I like the most about coming home is to be able to help out the family with jobs like these. It brings back memories of childhood. Good times!

No comments:

Post a Comment