Thursday, July 1, 2010

Summer Time Fishing???

This post is about the Sunday after we got to the states... June 13th... I know, I am a bit behind on the post... Trying to play catch-up.

Anyway, my brother Quintin (aka Q-1) loves to fish! So any excuse to go out and do it, is good enough for him. Even taking his sister, me, who has no skill, only luck, (and that's not very good) and my four kiddos, is alright with him. It's actually better, because he then can catch all of our limits.... or so he thinks!
So its June 13th.... almost summer.... and we head out fishing. The weather should be nice... Right? Wrong! It is FREEZING!!! We are bundled up like we should be in the mountains skiing! But it's fishing, and like I said any day is a good day for Q-1. :)
Gavin waiting patiently....
Dad and Me. Nice hat....
Teddy waiting......
Raquel (Q-1's wife of almost 6 months) waiting.... She doesn't look cold at all.... She must be in love!! Ooh La La
Most of the gang... There were more blankets than people on the boat! I had four layers on, the ugliest hat imaginable, and was still FREEZING! (Not that the ugliness of the hat had anything to do with it. But it was Q-1's hat, so I had to put that in! :)
Our first catch of the day... Good job Teddy!
So here is where the day gets fun! We have been fishing for a couple of hours in the FREEZING cold, and have caught nothing but twigs and plant life! No Fish!
I have to interject here that the water on the Missouri is up to record breaking levels. So we are fishing above trees that are now under water.... lots of snags... or tree branches and weeds for our "fish"! We are also fishing with bottom bouncers.... they drag the line on the bottom of the river... So when they catch on a weed, or plant life, it feels like you have a fish on your line.... or so I think... because I don't fish every day, like someone I know.... Q-1!!!
So my line is pulling and tugging and I am "setting the hook" every five seconds, and Q-1 is not very happy with my fishing skills! Even though he loves to fish, he just wanted to catch our limit and get the heck off the water so we could warm up!
So Q-1 is back talking to his older sister and giving me a lot of guff.... most of which I deserved.... but who cares about that.... So I throw out there, "Hey Quintin!!! I bet I catch the FIRST fish!!! You wanna bet??? Hu Hu??? I bet you!!!" So he starts laughing and rolling his eyes and he yells back, "I WILL GIVE YOU 5 BUCKS IF YOU CATCH ANY FISH!" Well the little smarty pants! ....did I mention he is younger?
Well, I guess I will just pick up that challenge and prove him wrong!!!
And, of course, I did!!!
Not five minutes later, here was the first "real" catch of the day!!!
I should just leave this story alone... and not tell the whole truth... but that would not be right, because of the good girl that I am. :P ...So I will be honest.... The rest of the story goes like this....
Raquel took a "break". Because you know the fishing was soooooo good, she was just being over worked reeling all those fishies (I know that's not a real word!) in. So she puts her fishing rod, a pink one!, in the rod holder and walks to the back of the boat. Five seconds later, she has a bite on her rod!! But she isn't there to get it! So me being the great fisherman that I am, I grab her rod with my LEFT hand and I set the hook. Just a reminder.... I am still holding my rod with my RIGHT hand! So some one has to reel in Raquel's line! So who comes running back to her spot... of course, Raquel.... and she reels in the fish!
Now I am going to take credit for this catch for the rest of my life, because I did all the hard work! Setting the hook is no easy task, I will have you know!! Oh, do I have braging rights for the rest of my life!!!
So that's the rest of the story....
BTW Raquel, nice picture! :)
Here was the second and last catch of the day. I believe Teddy caught that one.... It was just tooooooo cold!

So as Q-1 says, "A bad day of fishing, is still better than a good day of working!!"
Still waiting on my 5 bucks!
Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment