Friday, February 16, 2018

Fractured!

Of course!  When there's hardly a lick of communication available, something always happens...

Last Thursday the fiber optic cable that connected our island to the rest of the world was damaged.  The damage took out all communication to the island except for Chris' Freeport email address and our land line phone (I don't even know the number to that phone, because we never use it! ;))  Anyway, I suggested to Chris Friday morning that he should email the kids and give them a heads up that if they needed to get in touch with us, they would have to email his work email.

Well, Friday passes and then Saturday Chris gets an email that we need to call Gabby.  Only, it was two hours or more that the email was sent before he opened it... of course... ;)

So Chris gets on the land line and calls Gabby.  I walk in on the conversation already in progress, this is what I hear... "It's fractured?  How did you do that?"

I knew Gabby was playing in a basketball tournament that weekend, so I assumed that it was an arm or part of a leg... Nope, it was her NOSE!!

OUCH!!  I'm not exactly sure how it happened other than a girls head connected with Gabby's nose.

Two fractures!  Made my eyes water when I heard that... no, not because it was my baby girl and she was hurt... but because I could just imagine what that would feel like to get smashed in the face with someone else's head! OUCH!!

Thankfully we have a great school nurse and the kids dorm mom is a nurse, so Gabby had plenty of knowledgeable people helping her out!  No surgery was needed to fix the nose.  They say because the head hit the nose from the bottom up, there was less damage than there would have been if it was hit from one side or the other or straight on.

Every day and night we would ask Gabby to send us photos.  I was excited to see the color change. lol!!  She is quite a bit swollen in the first couple days.


Starting to get  a bit of color in the corner of her left eye.

On Wednesday, I started my previous planned trip to Penang with a stopover in Bali first.  I finally had Internet connection and Gabby could send me pictures.

I was so excited to see the color come out!  I know, crazy mom right??? ;)  (The red on her cheek is from something going on at school that day...) But the color around her eye was promising. :D  I was so looking forward to getting to school Thursday night and having a daughter with two full blown black and blue raccoon eyes!!  Wear your war wounds proud my Gabby Goo!! ;)

I finally arrive at school and then.... much to my disappointment.... ... nothing!!  There's barely a bit of color left around her eyes!  The raccoon didn't show up... :(   LOL!

There was still a hit of color yesterday, but nothing much... I'm pretty sure my normal eyes look worse than her fractured-nose-eyes ever looked!  lol!  This just goes to show what the power of icing your injury can do for you!  Great job Gabby! ;)



Looking great as always Yummy!!!  I think you will survive... ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment