Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Break In!

I don't have any pictures of this next event, but just want to write it down so when I am 80 and looking back on our time here, I have something that will jog my memory... Although, I'm not sure one could ever forget that your house was broken into!!!

We had only been back to site for three days. It was the first day of school. Gabby and a friend walked down to the shops to meet me after school. They ate a snack while I grocery shopped. When they were finished, we walked home to our house. I needed to take Gabby's passport up to HR for them to transfer her KITAS to her new passport. So I unlocked the door for the girls and turned around and headed out the door. 

It's about a five minute walk up to HR from the house. When I got up there I get a text from Gabby asking where her iPad was. I was busy talking, so I just ignored it. Then I get a text "And why is your bedroom door locked?"

Our bedroom door is never locked so I started to get suspicious. I interrupted the conversation to call Gabby. If my suspicions were correct, my computer would probably not be where I left it that morning. 

Called Gabby... 
Me: "Go see if my computer is sitting by the TV." 
Gabby: "Nope." 
Me: "Ah crap!  I think someone broke in to the house! I'm coming home."

Called security as I was walking home, so we both arrived at the same time. 

I get home and Gabby and her friend tell me that they heard someone walking upstairs. So we think this guy is still in the house! 

Unfortunately, after having the house surrounded for five minutes, it became very clear that the guy had gotten out between the time I called Gabby and my walking around the corner when our house came into view. The guy was no longer in the house. 

Our house is now swarming with security, so I go inside to see what kind of damage was done. :(

The guy grabbed every small electronic he could find. He went through every drawer, handbag, wallet, and backpack we had upstairs!  He also grabbed pretty much every piece of jewelry I had in my bedroom!  He was in there for quite some time!

Thankfully, I am a natural procrastinator and the ladies pulled me into cards, because if that wouldn't have happened, I would have unpacked my carry on and all my very very good jewelry would have been gone!!  Moral of the story... There is some good in everything! ;)

Thankfully no one was hurt and everything is replaceable... Well except for the pictures I had on my computer... I hadn't backed it up for a while...  Another lesson learned. :)

So that's the story for the record books.
Insurance claim in done. Now it's time to go shopping! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment