Thursday, June 9, 2016

Golfing With Mom

Golfing with my mom is nothing unusual. We try to get out whenever we can when I am home for the summer. I usually box up my clubs and DHL them home to South Dakota from Papua. This year, I thought I would just leave them in Papua and just use whatever clubs I could get a hold of to play here. 

Wednesday is ladies league at the golf course, and since I can't play in league, my mom and I went out for a round of golf before hand. 




I decided to go ahead and just use my dads clubs because they were available and already strapped on the golf cart. 

We played the first hole and as I took out a club, hit the ball, I noticed something nasty on my brand new glove!  Bird poop!!  What the heck?!?!  Where on earth did that come from? So I did what any respectable girl would do, I wiped it off and went on with my game. 

The next hole, I teed off and went on to hit my second shot. I pulled dad's 5 wood out of his bag and that's when I noticed that there was bird poop on the end of the club handle. 

Now to take a moment to explain... Where mom and dad store the cart, there are hundreds of birds flying around the shed pooping on everyone's stuff. Most people drape bed sheets or sheets of plastic over their carts and clubs. I just figured dad's clubs didn't get covered well enough and a little birdie aimed just right and pooped in dad's bag!

Not so fast...  I just finished hitting my second shot on hole number two, and I must say, it was quite impressive. (I was on the green in two!). So I went to put the club back in the bag and to my surprise, I hear wings fluttering. Say what?!?  That can't be... I must have been hearing things. So I smacked the bag, rather hard on the side, just to see if I could hear that sound again. Nope. Nothing. 

I went on to par hole number two, teed off on hole three, kept wiping bird poop off clubs... Played through hole number 4 and nothing, no strange sound coming from the bag. 

It wasn't until my second shot on five that I heard the fluttering of wings again!  Surely there was a bird living in dad's bag!!

Finally after a round of golf, and mom's round of league, we took the bag home for the boys to deal with the bird and the mess. My cousin Jon was visiting, so he went to work taking the clubs out and then shaking the bag upside down to try to get the bird out. 

Well nothing came!!  What the heck?!?  I am sure there was a bird inside! So Jon tipped the bag right side up and got a flash light to have an illuminating view. Well not only did Jon find one bird, but he also found a second one!  There were two birds living in dad's bag!!

Jon tipped over the bag again, and shook and shook and finally the first bird came out... Dead!

The second bird finally came out with some force, but that one was alive and well and flew right off!

And that's the story of my first day of golf for the summer. Crazy!

I am really hoping the birds stay out of dad's bag. I don't want any more bird poop to clean up and I really liked using his clubs and will do so again because after bird poop and all, I shot a 47! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment