Sunday, June 16, 2013

Art?

Hello! This is Mersades again. Today in Germany we went to an art museum called the Stadelsches Kunstinstitut (the Stadel Museum). We visited for a grand total of two and a half hours and saw all three exhibits. There was Contemporary, Modern, and the Old Masters. 


We will start with my favorite, the Old Masters. These are portraits of Martin Luther (left) and his friend Philip (I forgot his last name).  

This picture is called The Blinding of Samson. It was painted by Rembrandt. This picture is probably one of my favorites and is Mother's favorite.  


There were many more paintings in the Old Masters, but all those pictures are on the other camera. 

So next was the Modern Art.  To be honest, it wasn't really that good. But some paintings I did like, like the Luncheon by Monet. 

And last of all there was the Contemporary Art, and it was mind boggling. Some pieces looked like the handy work of four-year-olds, or were just plain dumb. For example, this one is called Home Country or Death.  



The painting on the left's name escapes me, but the painting on the right was called Hidden Grief. 

And that was our visit to the Stadel Museum. It was very interesting and a lot of fun. 

Mersades

Now the "Experts" take on Art:

So really, how does one consider one portrait to be "better" or more valuable that the next?  Who decided that Michael Angelo or Raphael were awesome painters?  What about those without the great names, but their works of are are still hanging in a museum? 

After spending all that time looking at the paintings, it got easier for me to identify why those "guys" are considered great. I also could start to recognise what century the paintings were from. Clearly the Rembrandt was by far the best painting... Of course in my professional opinion. ;)

Now on to the modern and contemporary art...  What Crap!  In most cases a two year old can paint  better than the lot of the "artist" in this museum!  I can even paint better!!!  I am not kidding you, there was a piece of black material that was tore to shreds and was considered to be "great"!  I must be wearing art everyday... Just look at my jeans!! ;). I was not disappointed when we left those two sections. 

Overall, the "Old Masters" made my time worth the pain of the Modern and Contemporary. It was great to experience the museum with Marz. It is something she is very interested in. But as they say, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."  

Do I have to go to another??   (Wahhhh wahhhh wahhh.) ;)

The Expert, 
Robin
 



No comments:

Post a Comment