Monday, August 30, 2010

Indonesia's Independence Day

August 17th was Indonesia's Independence Day. We had all intentions of going early in the morning to get in on some of the festivities. But it just so happened that I needed to stay home for a very important phone call from the States. So needless to say, we missed about the first two hours. But here is what we did see when we finally got there.

We did catch the chopper, with the flags, on its trip to the soccer field, where the celebrations were being held. I believe Gabrielle took this picture! :)

When we got up to the soccer field, right in front of us were all these guys in brown PTFI jackets. And just for one second in time, I thought I had spotted Chris..... but he was suppose to be at work! Then it dawned on me that everyone and their dog has one of those coats! :)

This was about the last performance of the celebration that we saw. Under the tent are the drummers for the guys dancing in the picture below. They were doing some kind of performance with whips!


As we were leaving the celebration, these were the clouds that were painted in the sky. I am serious, they looked like they were painted! It's not a trick of my camera. I am not that good! ;)

Here is just a little slice of life here in Tembagapura. The Indonesians go all out for their Independence Day. Wish we could have seen a bit more. Oh well, maybe next year....
Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment