Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Two Months...

Well, we have been living in Indonesia for two months now. It has been a very busy two months getting to know everyone, and how things work around here. Some days are very enjoyable and some can be very frustrating...that is if I let it.... I try not to let it get frustrating. Sometimes I just have to smile and shake my head and remember where I am living. There are days when I feel like I fell down the hole in "Alice in Wonderland". Or I feel like I am dreaming and soon I will wake up from the craziest dream I have ever had. But I know I am not dreaming! So I just take every day, one at a time. It's is hard to write about some of the craziness because it may sound like complaining, and I am not complaining. I am laughing most of the time. And as Chris says, "YOU JUST CAN'T MAKE THIS STUFF UP!"
I have met some of the most interesting people from all over the world. And have met many life long friends. I am looking forward to getting to know the ladies a lot better. There are some characters here....and I mean that in a good way ;)
The kids have taken to living here, like fish to water. They all like their new school. Mersades is being challenged. Teddy and Gavin have both come a long way in their reading. And Gabrielle is starting to read. They are all involved in sports. They definitely get their athletic ability from their Mom!!! ;) M and T are swimming. They have a swim meet in the Lowlands Saturday. I think they are looking forward to the swim meet, but mostly, the helicopter ride down. Hopefully the clouds stay away and the choppers run. All the kids are in basketball. Actually Gabrielle's age group has her mom (um yeah, ME) for a coach! They are goooooood! Hmmm, must be the coaching.....just saying....
Chris is really enjoying his job. He is so happy to get back to creating wealth, and not taking it from the tax payers. (I know it was only six months, but that was 5.9 months to long!) He is also working with a lot of very talented men creating one of the best underground mines in the world!
A lot of people are wondering what the town of Tembagapura is like. The only way to explain it is to go watch a movie about a third world country, but put us in the jungle at 6500 feet....... and that is where we live!!! There are also days where I think I may have gotten a job as an extra on a movie set, and I am waiting for the director to say cut, and then I will be back in the "real world". Everyone who can drive, for the most part, drives a white Toyota Land Rover. We all live in houses or apartments that are 20 plus years old. There is a lot of mold...YUCK! And lots of large bugs....YUCK! You may not have fresh milk in the store, but there is an isle of chocolate! The Indonesians love their chocolate.... It's an antioxidant right. So it should be good for you! Right? Hmmm, chocolate on cereal.... not sure that works. Crazy! I can go to our local salon and get a "Cream Bath" for 20 bucks! Anyone who knows me, knows that I love having my hair played with. That's pretty much what they do while they wash and condition my hair..... For two hours! So yeah, life can be really hard here sometimes! :-)
Well, it's almost time to get the kids off to bed so we can start our third month in the jungle. One thing coming up is our trip to Cairns, (That's pronounced "Cans" for those of you in Rio Linda....)Australia, for Orthodontists appointments. Yep, a helicopter ride, a plane ride, a weeks stay in Cairns, all for an adjustment on some teeth. Crazy! I told you some things just don't make sense. But this is how it is.... We will have to leave dad here....not necessarily a bad thing. ;) They (PTFI) make them stay here for the first six months.......Really make them go crazy so they leave for vacation....but the kids and I will go play.
So remember, Crazy is only a state of mind. It's normal for them here!
YOU JUST CAN'T MAKE THIS STUFF UP!
Robin

2 comments:

  1. when's your Australia trip? That is going to be FUN!! I really enjoy your posts, Robin! you should have a career in writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds fun! I wish that I could come and visit. I want to know what it's like to live in the "make believe world". Haha. Tell Mersades hi for me. I hope her dentist appointment goes well!

    ReplyDelete