Monday, March 8, 2010

Reading at YPJ

Three times a month, another mother (Susan) and I volunteer to read and speak English to 3rd grade kids from the YPJ school. YPJ is where approximately 900 national kids attend school in Tembagapaura. The age range is preschool to 12th grade. There are many other expat women who also volunteer at this school.
Today is the day I remembered to take along my camera and take some pictures. This month the kids are learning parts of the body. So Susan and I came up with a book, two songs, and a worksheet, to help the kids learn body parts in English.
Here is a picture of one of the little girls doing the worksheet. Who is that in the picture? .......Hmmm, maybe a superstar? ;) Oh no, that's just me! The kids thought it was pretty funny.
Here the class is doing the first of the two songs. "Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes" They knew this song.
The second of the two songs, "The Hokey Pokey", the kids had never heard. They LOVED it! We actually had to do that song a couple of times! It was lots of fun for Susan, me, and the kids.
So this is what I do with some of my "spare" time. I never thought I would be as busy over here as I am. There is always something to do. You just have to get out and do it! ............Good thing I got a maid ;)
Happily Volunteering,
Robin



No comments:

Post a Comment