Monday, May 23, 2011

My Drum Collection

One of the types of  "Art" I like to collect here, are Drums.  These drums are made by the different Papuan Tribes on this island.  Recently people from the Komoro tribe were visiting Tembagapura and showing off their carving skills.  They also put on a "dancing" show.  While dancing, they use these drums to keep the rhythm.  After they are done with the show, they sell the drums.
Teddy came along with me to get the drum, after their last performance.  Pictured with Teddy is Kal Muller (sp?), the anthropologist who lives with the tribe, and the Komoro tribesman who carved the drum.
I think I am now up to 8 or 9 of the drums.  (Actually there are 10 there!) :)
The tallest of these drums, is about 4 ft.  There is a wonderful collection of them at the Rimba Hotel in the Lowlands.  I would love to get my hands on a few of those!  When I am down there next I will take a picture of the collection, and post it. 
Marching to the beat of MY drums...
Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment