Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Banti

Sorry all that it has taken me so long to get something up on the blog.  I have not been able to upload any pictures in Tembagapura, probably because of the slow Internet connection, so I waited until I got back to civilization to update the blog.  We are currently in Cairns for another round of orthodontists appointments, and heading back today.  So I better get in gear and get something on here...... Or, I may not have any "fans" left! ;)

Not a lot has been happening with the family other than Chris working, the kids going to school, and Me, well everyone knows I just play all day!  I finally found time in my very busy schedule to go with a friend down to Banti (a native village out side of Tembag).  Every Tuesday she goes down to the hospital to play with the kids who are in the hospital, who have "minor" illnesses.  I figured it would be a fun thing for me to do, and who knows, I may get to hold a baby or two!! :)

Here are the kids, (And their moms... The moms stay with the kids in the hospital.) waiting for us to get all the toys out.


The Lego's were a huge hit!



Here is my buddy, who loved to play catch!


This little girl was just in with her mom visiting a friend.


This little boy was malnourished.  Let me tell you though, he could kick that soccer ball like no ones business!


As I was taking pictures, this little boy just popped up with a huge smile on his face, and posed for the camera.


Time for clean up.... My buddy was a big helper!


This picture was taken as we were leaving the hospital. 


These are the most valuable things in the village.  Pigs!!!  If you hit a pig and kill it, or just kill it in general, the pigs value is around $1000 USD!!!  The killing of pigs, have started many a wars!  A friend of ours, who lived here when he was Mersades age, said that one of the Chiefs offered something like 15 pigs, to his dad, in trade for his mom!!  His mom has beautiful red hair, so she is very valuable.  Blond hair isn't quite as valuable, but close.  Hmmmm, makes me wonder how many pigs I am worth???? :)


What a great experience I had going to Banti.  I am hoping to repeat it once a week, or once every other week.  I couldn't go the last time I was suppose to go because I was sick.  Not a good thing for me or for them.  So we will try next week, and hope for the best.

Until next time... Remember to count your blessings!  :)
Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment