Wednesday, October 4, 2017

What It Takes To Get Home!

A lot of people seem to think all I do is jet set around the world...  Well, they aren't far off... However, this traveling stuff isn't as easy as it seems... Or maybe I just make it harder than it needs to be... Or maybe it's just a little bit of both... ;) 

As most people know, who have read this blog, there are certain things we cannot get at our grocery store in Tembag.  No, we are not starving, but there are just a few 'comforts of home' that are really nice to pick up while we are off site.  

On the Friday that we arrived in Penang, Jen and I went shopping to get these goodies that we wanted to take back to site.  Now it's really just a guessing game as to what is going to fit in the luggage and it's always better to buy more and leave it behind than to not buy enough and have space in your luggage.  

Here we go... the start of the packing.  A secret of mine is to take an empty carry on size, or 21 inch, to pack tight with the heavy things that way you run out of space before you run out of weight and everything is packed in nice and tight.  I also brought a blanket with me to help protect some of the glass bottle items.  I was so prepared this time! ;)

We also pack things to take back to site for friends in need...  A guy friend needed some dryer sheets... Uh yah, sorry they are Lavender and Linen!!  Yah, your are going to smell pretty at the gym!! ;) lol!

And then you buy things that you know aren't going to work but haven't seen those items in FOREVER, that you just buy them and make a wish that they will fit and not get smushed on the way back to site!!  I truly was being overly wishful on the potato chips!! I gave up on these and took them back over to the kids at school... boo hoo!!!

Another trick to make good use of room and to pack things better, you take whatever you can out of boxes.  Again I was prepared and brought plastic ziplock bags from home to put in all the nut bars!  I is soooo smart!! ;)

Bubble wrap is also a necessity!  Especially if you go crazy and buy items with glass bottles!

And then everything is all packed up and folded in and the luggage is still under weight!!  I am a pro!!  The ironic thing is, and it always happens... That chocolate cake you see in the pic, yah, that was on the store shelf when I finally made it home!  It never fails!!  You may not see an item in the store, like the cake mix, for 6+ months.  You throw it in your luggage and BAM!!  It magically appears in the store!!  Who knew I had magical powers!! lol! ;)

Had to do a little rearranging...  ;)

Of course the "leftovers"!  Good thing I had another bag that fit all those Rice Krispies!  Oh, and don't forget those dryer sheets!! ;) ...and the Crisco and the nuts!!

Truth be told... I was 8 kilos over weight.... Well, not me specifically... my luggage!!! LOL!!  But have no fear... we know how to work the system...  We get extra luggage weight allowance by being a Platinum whatever, whatever...  Nice save Jen!!

So we are all packed up and are ready to make our way home...
And we do make it all the way back to Timika, via a 12 hour layover in Bali, (Yah, that is not a hardship!) without issue.

But then... There are no choppers due to the weather and the road is closed due to "issues"...  So we overnight at the Rimba...  But while we were waiting for the final "No Choppers Today" to be called, I needed to "Charge my Phone!!" LOL!!
Yes, I did fall asleep on the floor of the Rimba restaurant!  LOL!!

The next day we tried it all again....  And we make it half way home on a chopper... but the clouds moved in and we had to turn back around!!  I really wish I had taken a picture of that, but I am pretty sure my eyes were closed the whole way... and my hands were clamped together and I was a praying!!  So glad those chopper pilots know what they are doing!! ;)

So back to the Rimba we go... the road is still closed and we are "forced" to spend another day at the pool!! ;)

Yah, it was a hardship... ;)

Finally on Thursday morning we got the all clear to load the chopper one more time!  

At the start of the flight, the weather was beautiful!  We got to see parts of KK... 

... and the golf course...

And then once again we flew into the clouds...  The pilot come on the radio and said something I couldn't understand at the time, but found out later that it was something like "We are going to have to take a different route home.  The clouds have moved in so we will go low and around."  It's probably a good thing I had no idea what he said at the time... I'm thinking I would have had a heart attack!!  So I just closed my eyes...

And then for some reason I opened them... and just in time I might add... because I recognized where we were!!  I had visited this village about three years ago when this airstrip was just beginning to be built!!  I knew exactly where we were and started to enjoy the ride!


We finally came around the corner and could see Ridge Camp!!  We were very close to home!!

The road that takes you out of Tembagapura and up to the mine.

And then two minutes later we were on the ground at the helipad and I was soooooo, SOOOOO, very happy!!  And sooooo very thankful!!!  I was finally home!!

That was a week ago Thursday...  I leave again tomorrow (my Friday)!!

I fly too much!! ;D

No comments:

Post a Comment