Wednesday, September 29, 2010

... And The Earth Moved!

I finally felt my FIRST earthquake!!! It happened around 2:10 a.m., a 6.6 magnitude earthquake. It actually woke me up! That is not an easy thing to do! :) What woke me up was the sound of the windows rattling, and then I was feeling myself shaking. I didn't really know what was going on at first. Then it stopped..... for about 30 seconds!

Then another one hit. This time a 7.2! This time it occurred to me that the shaking and the rattling was from an earthquake!

Now before you all get worried, The center of the earthquake happened about 600 km (372 miles) from here. Look at the map below... The star is the center of the earthquake, and because I am getting so handy with a computer, I drew approximately where we live on the map.

About 20-30 minutes after I thought I was feeling another one. But when I woke up this morning Chris checked to see if there was a third one, and nothing was reported. That was weird! I guess I was dreaming......

I just wanted you to know, everything is fine here. You know, it's funny, most of the time when an earthquake hits in this part of the world, like 1,000's of miles away, I get many emails asking if everything is ok...... Well this earthquake, close to home, was even reported on FOX news, and guess what, no emails!!! :( Maybe my next post should be a geography lesson on where we live..... ;) Ha Ha, just kidding! I know you all love us!

Hope you have a wonderful "Earth Shaking" day!

Robin

2 comments:

  1. when you live THAT far away...what's a couple thousand miles! I thought of you- but I figured if you were affected by the earthquake, you wouldn't have computer access! :) that's my story and I'm sticking it to it...and I might add...that Geography was the only class in history I failed! (on purpose really- so they couldn't make me teach 8th social studies 2 yrs in a row) but I really am ignorant in Geography- especially when you get past Java!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becky, you are too funny! We usually don't have internet access when the mountains are standing still!!! ;)
    I am glad that I could give you a geography lesson... Where's Java? :-P hahahahah

    ReplyDelete