Thursday, June 16, 2016

Girl's Trip!

It has been so long since my sister and I have taken a girl's trip!  Since the hubbys and boys didn't want to go to the family reunion, we decided it was a perfect time to do just that!

We had approximately an eight hour drive. I started off driving and drove all the way to Pierre, SD!!!  That was an hour and a half! Then I got tired... No surprise there... Just getting over jet lag and coming down with a cold doesn't help!  So Brandei started to drive... Marz, who also came with us, was the professional DJ. 

And she drove and drove and drove... She drove the rest of the way. I slept and did Facebook and slept and slept! :) I could totally get use to this!

Love the back seat!

We finally made it to Aurora Nebraska, after a few stops, because of course we had to go shopping! 

We spent the weekend doing the reunion. (See the post before.)

Then it was time to pack up and head home... Well that's what we thought we would do... Then we had a chat about saving money with cousin Betty!!

Now, she claims of we buy two items at 50% off, we are essentially saving 100%! Because 50% + 50% = 100%!  (Not sure common core math was around back in her schooling days, but it sounds like it! ;))

We had seen this huge shopping mall in Grand Island NE and thought we better go test that theory out on our way home! It was only a 20 minute drive from where we were staying at the reunion. So...

Dillard's, here we come!

Well the theory didn't work all that well in Dillard's, we only saved 50% on a Christmas banquet dress for Marz, so we though we better go test the theory out one more time at The Buckle!

Well, after 2.5 hours!!! Yes, TWO AND A HALF HOURS!!! We finally made it out of The Buckle!!  I'm just going to say here Betty, your theory definitely DOES NOT WORK!!! ;)

But oh the fun we had!!   
And I do say that with a little sarcasm thrown in... Shopping for clothes is about my least favorite thing to do. It's right down there with watching someone brushing their teeth! ;)

It's now about 4:00 in the afternoon... We still have about 8 hours to drive home!!  We are dead tired from the weekend... and shopping. We are really not looking forward to the drive. 

And then a little Divine intervention came our way...

As we were getting gas and snacks to keep us awake, I get a FB message from a friend who is telling me that another friend is traveling from Florida to Montana and will be in South Dakota and are we anywhere close?  Close? In SD?  I highly doubt it... But I will call and find out where they are. 

Imagine that, the friends will be in Sioux Falls South Dakota tonight!  Sioux Falls is only 4, FOUR, hours away!  Chris, do you care if we go meet them?  I know Sioux Falls is out of the way, but it's only 4 hours and we can stay the night and rest and, and, and... Chris is totally fine with it, so change of plans, and direction. We are off to Sioux Falls!

Hold the phone!!  Brandei just found both sets of keys, from our room at the reunion, in her pocket!! Can we say detour?  So it's not that out of the way, really nothing, but we decide to take the keys back before getting on the interstate!  Let just add another hour to the trip. So five hours to Sioux Falls!

We finally make it there, but not before Brandei gets hit on at a pit stop and we all look a little like death warmed over, but we are there!  Well in Sioux Falls!

Brandei has now finished her girl's road trip. She decides to stay with her hubby and son and watch Lucas play in a golf tournament. 

Marz and I meet our friends for drinks at the hotel. 

It's now 11pm. Marz decides we need ice cream... Seriously...  I AM SOOOO TIRED!  But it's a girl's trip... So we go looking for ice cream!

Found it at a dodgy gas station, where I am sure armed robberies take place every other night!  Thank goodness one didn't happen while we were there!! ;)
This is what death warmed over and ice cream looks like! ;)

Finally sleep...

The next day we are ready to go and get home, but not before a stop at Perkins for a good wholesome breakfast. But first we have to find one... I was getting a little irritated... But thought again, girl's road trip, just go with it and have fun.

So we get breakfast, we get gas, and get on the interstate to head "North". 

Ha ha!  At least that's what I thought we were doing...  I really am not that blonde!!  But it has been a while, like 10 years, since I have been to Sioux Falls... I just ASSUME we are getting on I29. Thank goodness after about 30 miles, Marz looked on google maps to see how much longer we had to get to Brookings!  Thank goodness!!  Because.... We were actually heading EAST on I90!!!  What the heck?!?!  

My first clue should have been when I said out loud to Marz that wow, it must have been a long time since I have driven to Sioux Falls because I don't remember ever having I29 "jog" through Minnesota!!!  Stop the car, turn around!! Is what I should have done. But NO... I just continue on my merry way!

Again, thank goodness Marz looked at google maps!  Sometimes I do amaze myself!!

We turned ourselves around... And no, I was not doing the Hokey Pokey at this point! But I must say, I did keep my cool... After all it just makes the girl's trip a better story to tell. ;)


Finally on the right road!

And then I get one more wild hair... I let Marz drive on the interstate!!
Be still my quaking heart!

Finally we meet my mom, who drove Brandei's car to Aberdeen for her. Mom got in the drivers seat of my car and drove the rest of the way home. 100 miles. I SLEPT! :)



Awesome memories were made! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment